Sunday 19 February 2012

Hidden Treasures!



Caves are found in many parts of Australia, Western Australia has quite a few in the South. Most recognize the South West region for Margaret River with its vineyards, beautiful surfing beaches and Karri forests.

I’d like to tell you about another of its treasures.

The caves, which I read recently numbered over 150, were formed by an under water system. On Caves Road there are 3 open to the public, Lake, Mammoth and Jewel. 


I visited the Lake cave, it is a hidden treasure, with water reflecting off the giant stalactite crystals hanging from the cave’s ceiling. A guide explains the history and gladly answers any questions. There is a charge to visit, but you don't mind because the money goes to looking after the caves. Don't you want future generations to be able to enjoy what nature created for us?

If you ever visit this part of the world I recommend you visit the South West caves.

After the tour, my friends and I sat in a nearby cafe and talked about our adventure. The menu featured delicious food; I was tempted by the veggie burger. It was so good, when I went home I created my own version.

Bernadette's Veggie Burger 

For 4 People

Ingredients

Burger mix
Half a peeled and grated zucchini
1 medium peeled and grated carrot
1 peeled and grated potato
1 peeled and finely diced onion
1 large egg
2 tablespoons plain flour
Half a teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Half a cup of fresh and finely chopped parsley
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

For Burger assembly
lettuce leaves 
finely sliced tomatoes
beetroot
grated cheese
mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Buns 


Method

Place all the burger mix ingredients in a bowl and mix well. To make individual patties, take with hands enough to make a large ball and squeeze some of the excess juice and slightly flatten patty. Place on a plate and refrigerate for half hour.

Put a fry pan on low to medium heat and add vegetable oil.

Place patties in fry pan and cook slowly until brown. Patties may take 15 minutes to cook through.

Cut buns in half and place under a grill to slightly toast.

Place on plate and assemble your burger, bottom half of the bun, patty, salad, mayonnaise and top of the bun.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this recipe Bernadette. Our family is mostly vegetarians, so I'm going to try this one out at our next BBQ....I can just taste it now! Mmmmmm

    MaureenO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it. In the future I will add more vegetarian delights!!!

    ReplyDelete